Thursday, February 11, 2010

"A Moment In Afro Her-story: Leontyne Price"

Born Mary Violet Leontyne Price (born February 10, 1927, in Laurel, Mississippi in the United States) is an American operatic soprano. She is best known for the title role of Verdi's Aida. Born in the segregated Deep South, she rose to international fame during a period of racial change in the 1950s and 60s, and was the first African-American to become a leading prima donna at the Metropolitan Opera. Having a father who ensured that his children were not pigeonholed into thinking less than and that we had no culture, my father made sure we knew we were descended from greatness.

Leontyne Price's operatic recordings were a part of my fathers extensive album collection and to this very day I still listen to classical music in all of it's various forms. I always joke with my mother that she should have named me Leontyne, which would had been a fitting honor of being named after my father since she says we are so alike.

Parents, teach and instill in your children our "STORY" as it's relates to our people and the invaluable

contributions to society that they have giving to the entire world. Our "STORY" is not only befitting to be recognised in the shortest month of the year- but the entire year, celebrated 365 days a year, 24 hours a day-every day!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails